Wednesday 1 February 2012

COMMERCIAL TERRORISM!


I remember one occasion when I went to the market (yes I do that sometimes) and after purchasing everything I wanted I realised that the all the items were brands from my favourite commercials. I had unconsciously bought products because of their commercials. For instance, I prefer 'Remia' to 'blueband' but that 'B without BB' had me buying Blueband before I knew it. 

What's the deal with these advertisers anyway? Do they study the general public and trends in colours, music and use this knowledge to influence people to buy products? Yes they do!! Wow I feel used, abused, manipulated, cheated and unfairly coerced! Why can't I just buy Remia instead of Blueband? Why can't I buy Ariel instead of Omo? Why can't I eat at my favourite joint instead of tramping off to the nearest eatery I saw on T.V? WHY!!???

Before you start thinking you're safe from this menace think back to the last time you bought a shirt, toothbrush, a DVD or even matches! what was the your ratio decedendi? You see!? We are all influenced by commercials. I'm even welling to bet that you use the bank with the coolest T.V advert.

I'm actually concerned with the fact that no one is doing anything about this not so new threat. Everyone is so concerned about political terrorism and making such a big deal out of it that this menace has continued without any punitive measures. thus this unguarded threat of hypnotic influence and coercive power over both the masses of urban metropolis and rural townships goes unchecked and unrestricted! Don't you think its a little scary that in a backward community in Africa a certain tribe that don't wear clothes have no idea of the political workings of their state but have coke bottles? Okay that's a scene from 'the gods must be crazy!' but it could happen.

Soon going shopping will be risky business and those advertisers who hold the monopoly on commercials will have free rein in our capitalist economy! I'd like to go on rambling about these un-noticed dangers but I'm really hungry and I have to prepare something to eat. Want to know what it it? I'll give you an hint....."there's a rumble in my tummy going boom bala boom bala boom..."   

   

No comments:

Post a Comment